I like fairy tales. A fairy tale is an imaginary story that has unrealistic characters in a fantastic background. It makes me forget about the real world and refreshes my tired mind.
Adjectives generally appear immediately before the noun.
- A pretty girl
- Red flowers
- A long stick
- Heavy boxes
- Warm weather
Commonly, adjectives of opposite meaning are formed by adding a prefix such as un, in, or dis.
- clear – unclear, important – unimportant, predictable – unpredictable, believable – unbelievable, common – uncommon, aware – unaware, ambiguous – unambiguous, conventional – unconventional, certain – uncertain
- definite – indefinite, correct – incorrect, comparable – incomparable, complete – incomplete, evitable – inevitable, expensive – inexpensive
- able – disable, assemble – disassemble, content – discontent, similar – dissimilar
When using a string of adjectives, they should appear in a set order: size/shape + age + color + origin + material.
- A big brown house
- A small old English desk
- A beautiful black Italian leather purse
- Delicious Chinese food
The + adjective describes a class or group of people and acts as a noun.
- the old, the young, the poor, the rich, the oppressed, the homeless, etc.
- This popular TV show is loved by the old.
Vocabulary list :